Signing up to bubble and creating an account on the app is free for babysitters, who only pay a fee for the service when they get work through it.
In return for meeting new families, winning jobs and organising sits via the bubble platform, sitters on the bubble app pay a platform fee on each sit they do.
Below are some FAQs to help ensure our fees are clearly understood.
Why are you introducing this now?
Before charging babysitters anything for the service, we first wanted to create something of real value and learn what more we needed to do to improve it. Nearly two years on (and while appreciating that we’re far from perfect!) we’re really proud of the service that bubble is providing to the babysitters doing sits on the app. In order to keep building and improving the platform, like any business, it’s important to be paid a fair amount for the service we provide. Ultimately, it’s going to allow us to continue providing sitters with a service that helps them win more jobs and earn more money in the most convenient way possible.
What are the fees?
For a full breakdown of the fees, go here.
What if I get a tip from the parent, will I be charged on that?
No. The % fee is only calculated against what you earned as standard from the sit (i.e. the duration x your hourly rate).
If I refer a parent to the app, will I pay fees on the sits I do for them?
No. When you sit for parents who you referred on to the app (or parents who referred you) you don’t pay any platform fees on the sits you do for them.
When this launches, will my previous sit history on bubble be taken into account?
Yes, absolutely. Any future sits you do for parents that you have previously sat for will be taken into account and the fee applied will be at the appropriate rate.
How do I become a super sitter?
At the end of every calendar month, the app will calculate whether you have achieved ‘Super Sitter’ status or not. You get ‘Super Sitter’ status when you’ve done 5 or more sits on bubble in the previous month. Your ‘Super Sitter’ rate is then applied on all of your sits in the following month.
For example, if in May you do 6 sits on bubble, in June you will be a Super Sitter and all of your sits that month will have the lower platform fees applied.
If in June you only end up doing 2 sits on bubble, you will revert back to the standard status and rates in July.
Do sitters in different cities pay different rates?
When bubble is launching in a new area, it may offer sitters there a lower introductory rate then the standard platform fee tiers. If so, these rates will be clearly communicated to babysitters inside of their app.
I’ve worked for Nanny Agencies before and they don’t charge a fee?
There are a number of typical nanny agencies and their pricing models differ. What’s important to understand is that many of them fix a babysitter’s hourly rate, at a lower level (e.g. £7-£9) to what that sitter can earn on bubble, where they have the flexibility to set their own rates. This in most cases means that even considering the platform fee, sitters on bubble are earning more per hour then they would elsewhere. Furthermore, the bubble app offers several features that agencies may not, which makes comparing the services difficult.
How do I benefit from doing all my sits on bubble?
The more sits you do on bubble:
- The more reviews you get on your profile.
- The higher up you appear in search results and the earlier you will get sent new job opportunities.
- The lower your costs - achieving the ‘Super Sitter’ status means you pay lower platform fees.
- The more attractive your profile becomes - you get a ‘Super Sitter’ Badge on your profile, showing parents that you’re a popular sitter who is in high demand.
- The more socially connected you become to more parents around you.
All of this significantly increases your chances of getting more work from new families.
Aside from this, the other benefits of using bubble for all of your sits are:
- Cashless payment: You’re paid up to the minute straight into your bank account.
- Everything is tracked: All sits are tracked on the bubble system giving you increased transparency and peace of mind.
- Cancellation payments: Parents using the app have the easy option of paying you something when they cancel on you - outside of bubble, they don’t!
Why don’t you charge the parents instead?
We do. Parents pay either a per sit booking fee or monthly subscription for using the bubble platform. We feel it’s important to provide a low-cost and fair pricing structure for both parents and sitters, whom we hope get equal value and benefit from the service that bubble provides.
I’d rather pay a subscription instead, can I?
Not yet, but offering sitters a choice between pay-as-you-sit platform fees and a fixed monthly subscription is something we’re considering and could potentially come online soon.
What do these fees go towards?
bubble uses your fees to cover the day-to-day costs of the platform, these include:
- Marketing: Getting more mums and dads signed up and posting more jobs for you.
- Profile verification: We pay for 3rd party ID checks which make your profile more attractive to parents.
- Payment Processing: Every time you get paid cashlessly via the app, it costs bubble ~3% of the sit value.
- Technology/App: Building, improving and maintaining the platform is expensive!
- Office & staff: We’re a small and super-dedicated team working hard and committed to providing you with an outstanding service.
Get in touch!
We hope this guide is clear but please don’t hesitate to drop us an email with any questions or feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.