One thing we talk to babysitters about a lot is the difficulty for some in getting their first sit on the app.
Bubble is ‘review-driven’. It’s what makes us different and special and is why parents love it – because we always prefer to book babysitters who come recommended by other like-minded mums and dads.
Building up good reviews is so important to a sitter’s success on the app. We see how once a sitter has some good reviews on their profile things really take off for them. On the flip side though, getting that first review can be tricky for some - particularly in parts of the country where there is already strong competition from other great babysitters.
What can we do to help?
We at Bubble are of course focused on doing things that help babysitters succeed. We invest in product that gives babysitters a compelling profile - which includes security checks that we carry out at a cost to us. And we also continuously invest in marketing aimed at driving more parents to the app and more demand. We also build logic into our “search algorithms” that tries to give new babysitters a chance when parents in their area are looking for someone.
At the same time, Bubble is a marketplace platform offering sitters a great online profile for them to utilise as best as they can. And we see how the most successful sitters on the app are taking it upon themselves to make the most of the tools at their disposal.
What can you do to help?
Here’s what the most successful babysitters on the app did to get themselves off and running – and continue to do to keep the work coming in.
1. They convince parents they already know to start using Bubble to book them. Many parents are happy to start using Bubble if asked because they love the cashless payment element of it, and it also gives them a source of other babysitters when their favourite (i.e. you!) is not around. Giving them your referral code so that they get £10 off their first sit only sweetens the deal. You'll also get £10 of credit for doing so!
2. They continue to run all of their babysitting via the app. The savvy sitters never take their relationships off the platform because they know that the more jobs and reviews they get on their profiles, the more jobs and new parents they’ll continue to get. So even if a parent asks them (and most don’t) they politely decline, and it’s never a problem.
3. They advertise their profiles whenever they can. Parents are always looking for babysitters online and on Facebook. Use those opportunities to ask them to look you up on Bubble, and share your code with them. You can also request ‘Bubble business cards’ for free, and you can hand them out at your local cafes, school and nurseries.
4. They respond to requests “fast and friendly”. Parents are more likely to pick a babysitter who comes back to them quickly. And even if you can’t do their sit, they’re more likely to book you next time if you drop them a friendly note when you decline. Likewise, when applying for a 'book now' booking, use the note function to send the parent a friendly message –things like that help strike up a connection and could be the difference between getting picked and not.
5. They do their best to say “Yes!”. If you’re looking for your first sit, it is well worthwhile making an extra effort to accept a job, even if it might not be total convenient for you to do it. If you simply can’t do it then of course that’s your call - but where possible, try to take the opportunity to get off and running when you can.
6. They don’t have a good profile. They have a great one. First impressions are everything. The best sitters on Bubble don’t have a photo that’s “good enough” – they have a profile photo that is the best it can be. Likewise, they put thought into their bios, making them fun, engaging and giving a glimpse of their skills and personality. Check out our tips for a great photo and bio.
Having said all of this, another important factor to consider is that Bubble is still quite new! Particularly outside of London and while we’ve grown quickly, it’ll still take time to grow to a point where demand from parents is meeting the willingness of all the babysitters on the app.
So do stick with it – and we hope this helps! Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.